Yohji Yamamoto is a huge designer in the fashion world, his style and clothing is extremely distinctive and stands out. His vision and personality is just as unique as his clothes. Here are some quotes from Yamamoto that will either make you understand his world, or leave you confused. Who knows, maybe with these quotes you’ll find he is a kindred sprit who sees fashion similarly to how you do.
1. “My role in all of this is very simple. I make clothing like armor. My clothing protects you from unwelcome eyes.”
2. “Fashion sighs after trends. I want timeless elegance. Fashion has no time. I do. I say: Hello Lady, how can I help you? Fashion has no time to even ask such a question, because it is constantly concerned with finding out: What will come next? It is more about helping women to suffer less, to attain more freedom and independence.”
3. “Start copying what you love. Copy copy copy copy. At the end of the copy you will find yourself.”
4. “Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy – but mysterious. But above all black says this: “I don’t bother you – don’t bother me”.”
5. “I hate fashion. Or the word fashion, which sounds colorful, extravagant, expensive and gorgeous. “I never wanted to walk the main street of fashion. I have been walking the sidewalks of fashion from the beginning, so I’m a bit dark.”