Being in a long term relationships can have its ups and downs, petty fights and moments of pure silliness. After all of the good and bad times, you may feel as if it is time to take your relationship a step further by popping the question or dropping hints that you want to tie the knot. With help from yourtango.com’s “Love: 15 Signs You’re Meant To Be,” we have a list of nine ways you know you are in fact with “the one.”
1. You cannot go to bed without them. This may seem like a cliché; however, staying up to wait for your partner not only suggests that you acknowledge them as forms of comfort and security, but you also care about where they are. Depending on why you stay up for them is also important to note. If you stay up because you do not believe they are where they should have been, then there is a red flag in your relationship that should be addressed right away.
2. You have more fun with them than with your friends. Finding balance between your significant other and your own social life is the key to a successful long term relationship. But if you find that you want to party without your partner, then you are not 100 percent into the relationship. Having balance demonstrates that you both respect and acknowledge each other’s personal interests and individuality.
3. You are motivated to provide for each other. Providing for one another goes both ways. If you have a relationship where one party is the sole provider emotionally, financially, and in matters of the home, then your partner needs to wake up. You do not want to feel as if you are the only person in the relationship.
4. “You laugh together.” As yourtango.com states, “Laughter is one of life’s simplest pleasures—you should definitely be able to crack each other up.” Furthermore, being able to cheer each other up through laughter is another sign that you both know what makes each other happy.
5. You are not that jealous. This is a tough one, but you have to be “comfortable with him (or her) going out with his (her) friends—even female (and male) friends.” If you don’t allow your partner to go out with their friends of the opposite sex, you show that you don’t trust them. It’s difficult to have a long term relationship if there is distrust.
6. You understand each other. When thinking about marriage, you should “feel like she understands some essential part of you that you can’t explain or articulate.” You both are together for a reason that only both of you know. It does not matter if others do not understand, you have “a warm, comfortable feeling—and one you should have with the person you marry.” But remember, this does not make up for the ability to provide for one another.
7. “You’re incredibly, utterly, surprisingly attracted to her.” Perhaps when you were dating, you were looking for a specific “type” of person. However, if your partner is “not a classic beauty or your usual ‘type’” it is “even more reason to think she (or he is) the one.” The best relationships are with those who surprise you and make you change for the better.
8. “You respect him (or her).” This is essential in a long term relationship. As YourTango explains, “You don’t want to change the essence of who he (or she) is.” Again, you are with your partner for a reason. You take all of their good qualities, along with their annoying bad habits. They may leave every closet door open after taking their clothes out, or laugh obnoxiously but you love them because they will binge watch Scandal on Netflix with you.
9. You can be vulnerable around each other. You should be able to share secrets, cry, and even gossip with each other. Being able to let your guard down shows that you are willing to let someone in and if you are thinking about marrying your partner, you will know they are “the one“ because you show them a side of yourself that you could not let anyone else see.