Blogging is something that has grown in popularity in recent years. People have a lot to say, and thanks to the internet, they now have a variety of platforms that enable them to share their opinions with like-minded individuals. You can blog about anything you wish, just find your passion.
Here are some tips to make your blogging experience a success:
1. Find a platform- WordPress, Blogger, Tumblr, etc. Explore the different sites a little bit, and decide which one works best for you.
2. Define your passion- Find something you enjoy talking about and know a lot about. Make sure this topic is clear when people visit your blog. People want to know what they can expect to read about, before they invest time in exploring. Will your blog focus on fashion, photography, food, or writing? Whatever it may be, it’s best to focus on one subject to keep readers coming back consistently.
3. Be consistent- Figure out a posting schedule that will work for you. Although quantity is important, quality always trumps quantity. If publishing once a day means that you will be publishing low-quality work, try switching to posting once a week. If you decide to stick to posting once a week, pick a certain day of the week and make sure your readers know when to expect new posts. Try not to miss your posting day, because your readers will get confused. However, if you do happen to miss the posting day a few times, do not call attention to it.
4. Build your following- The best way to build a readership is to promote your blog. Make a Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, or Facebook account depending on which platform you think will be the best way to connect. Also, follow other blogs and comment on the posts that they make.
5. Research- Check out your competition. What are they posting, how often are they posting, and how many readers are they getting each week? Although it’s good to see how often readers are interacting and responding to their posts, don’t let it dictate your direction, but just act as inspiration. Research your topic. Make sure you know what you’re talking about before you post and you’re not posting inaccuracies. Why should people trust your judgment?
6. Set goals for yourself- If you’re serious about getting into blogging as a potential career, set goals for yourself. Where do you want to be in the next year? How many followers do you hope to have? Is there any deals you are dreaming of? Writing down your goals help to keep you focused on the direction you want to be headed towards.
7. Do not ask for free things- First, why would a company want to send you free stuff when your blog gets 10 unique readers per week? They wouldn’t. Asking for free things makes bloggers look greedy, and gives other bloggers a bad look. If your blog gets to a point where it would be beneficial for companies to advertise with you, they will reach out to you.
8. Love what you do- Be honest with yourself. No one starts blogging because they think they’re going to get a lot of money. If you start blogging, because you think it will get companies to send you free stuff, people will see right through you, and you won’t stay committed to your craft. Blog because you love it and you’re passionate about your topic, otherwise don’t even start.